Updated Feb 18, 2013 - 3:48 pm
Closer J.J. Putz on Trevor Bauer: 'He probably still doesn't know who he is yet'
Putz told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo Monday that he did just that for former D-backs pitcher Trevor Bauer last season, but he wasn't sure his pearls of wisdom always clicked with the 22-year-old phenom.
"I spent a lot of time with Trevor back in spring training and then when he came up," said Putz. "The one thing I just couldn't wrap my head around was you have this catcher (in Miguel Montero) who is very successful back there. He catches every day. Why would you not want to lean on him and try to figure out what he's thinking you should do?
"And, he was totally against it. He had his mindset on one thing and wasn't going to change it. That goes back to just being stubborn."
While Bauer was shipped to Cleveland back in December in a three-team trade that netted the D-backs shortstop Didi Gregorius and reliever Tony Sipp, the former No. 3 overall pick has remained a hot topic this spring following recent comments by both Montero and pitcher Ian Kennedy.
Putz believes the disconnect between Bauer and his Arizona teammates had more to do with age and inexperience than anything else.
"He was just so raw," said Putz. "He didn't really know and probably still doesn't know who he is yet. He's still learning and is a young kid."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Mets complete sweep of Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks are no easy fix, but who should get the chance?
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.