Updated Feb 18, 2013 - 3:48 pm
Closer J.J. Putz on Trevor Bauer: 'He probably still doesn't know who he is yet'
Putz told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo Monday that he did just that for former D-backs pitcher Trevor Bauer last season, but he wasn't sure his pearls of wisdom always clicked with the 22-year-old phenom.
"I spent a lot of time with Trevor back in spring training and then when he came up," said Putz. "The one thing I just couldn't wrap my head around was you have this catcher (in Miguel Montero) who is very successful back there. He catches every day. Why would you not want to lean on him and try to figure out what he's thinking you should do?
"And, he was totally against it. He had his mindset on one thing and wasn't going to change it. That goes back to just being stubborn."
While Bauer was shipped to Cleveland back in December in a three-team trade that netted the D-backs shortstop Didi Gregorius and reliever Tony Sipp, the former No. 3 overall pick has remained a hot topic this spring following recent comments by both Montero and pitcher Ian Kennedy.
Putz believes the disconnect between Bauer and his Arizona teammates had more to do with age and inexperience than anything else.
"He was just so raw," said Putz. "He didn't really know and probably still doesn't know who he is yet. He's still learning and is a young kid."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.