Art witness: the 20th century according to Chagall
PARIS (AP) - A new exhibit in Paris tries to show the painter Marc Chagall as a historian of the 20th century.
Through rich, colorful allegories of the two world wars, the Russian Revolution and his experience as a Jew fleeing Nazi Europe, Chagall's paintings are presented as a witness account of the turbulent 20th century.
Images of pogroms, Russian soldiers, war and Jewish persecution are juxtaposed with Judeo-Christian iconography.
Chagall was born in Russia in 1887, traveled widely and died in France in 1985.
Curator Julia Garimorth-Foray says Chagall witnessed the barbaric acts of the time "and reacts in an engaged way."
"Chagall between War and Peace" runs until July 21 at Paris' Musee de Luxembourg.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.