New D-back Tony Campana will 'do anything'
With Jason Kubel, Gerardo Parra, Cody Ross and Adam Eaton, the D-backs have four very capable players roaming the outfield this season.
Last week, they added even more depth, acquiring Tony Campana from the Chicago Cubs in an under-the-radar move.
The 26-year-old has played in 184 big league games over the last two seasons and just wants to contribute to his new team.
"I can do anything out there," Campana said Tuesday. "I can play any of the three at any time so just whatever they want me to do, I'll do."
With Campana in the fold along with Parra and Ross, Kirk Gibson has three outfielders that can play all three positions. That leads to a lot of roster flexibility for the fourth-year Arizona manager.
One of the roles Campana could fill in is pinch-runner. Campana swiped 54 bases in 59 attempts in his Chicago days and had 162 steals in just 349 minor league games.
"He can fly," Gibson said. "Ninety-two percent in stolen bases. He runs second-most anybody in the league, 39 percent of the time he gets on and he still makes it.
"It's certainly a weapon, something that we can utilize at some point."
Campana said it was 'a little weird' to be traded by the Cubs, but has a positive attitude during his first days in Sedona red.
"I'm just going to come in here and try to compete for a job and help them win any way I can," he said.
Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer