Updated Feb 19, 2013 - 4:28 pm
ESPN analyst Boone: Diamondbacks can win with pitching
"First and foremost the Diamondbacks have a pretty good nucleus of starting pitching," ESPN MLB analyst Aaron Boone told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday when asked if the D-backs could win as presently constrcuted. "They have a chance to pitch."
Ian Kennedy, Wade Miley, Brandon McCarthy and Trevor Cahill will be part of the rotation, with Tyler Skaggs, Patrick Corbin and Randall Delgado vying for the fifth spot. Following them, Arizona's bullpen figures to be quite good, too.
The team will need it.
Boone pointed to the improvements made by the Los Angeles Dodgers and the reigning world champion San Francisco Giants -- along with a San Diego Padres team he believes will surprise people -- as reasons for why the NL West will be a difficult division.
But while many point to the losses of players like Justin Upton and Chris Young as reason for why the offense may take a hit, the team's ability to limit the hits opponents get may keep them in most games.
"But the Diamondbacks have good, solid every day players and a chance, in their rotation, to compete with the upper echelon teams," Boone said. "So I think they're a classic case of if things break right for them they have a chance in the National League West."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.