Updated Feb 19, 2013 - 4:28 pm
ESPN analyst Boone: Diamondbacks can win with pitching
"First and foremost the Diamondbacks have a pretty good nucleus of starting pitching," ESPN MLB analyst Aaron Boone told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday when asked if the D-backs could win as presently constrcuted. "They have a chance to pitch."
Ian Kennedy, Wade Miley, Brandon McCarthy and Trevor Cahill will be part of the rotation, with Tyler Skaggs, Patrick Corbin and Randall Delgado vying for the fifth spot. Following them, Arizona's bullpen figures to be quite good, too.
The team will need it.
Boone pointed to the improvements made by the Los Angeles Dodgers and the reigning world champion San Francisco Giants -- along with a San Diego Padres team he believes will surprise people -- as reasons for why the NL West will be a difficult division.
But while many point to the losses of players like Justin Upton and Chris Young as reason for why the offense may take a hit, the team's ability to limit the hits opponents get may keep them in most games.
"But the Diamondbacks have good, solid every day players and a chance, in their rotation, to compete with the upper echelon teams," Boone said. "So I think they're a classic case of if things break right for them they have a chance in the National League West."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.