Updated Feb 19, 2013 - 4:28 pm
ESPN analyst Boone: Diamondbacks can win with pitching
"First and foremost the Diamondbacks have a pretty good nucleus of starting pitching," ESPN MLB analyst Aaron Boone told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday when asked if the D-backs could win as presently constrcuted. "They have a chance to pitch."
Ian Kennedy, Wade Miley, Brandon McCarthy and Trevor Cahill will be part of the rotation, with Tyler Skaggs, Patrick Corbin and Randall Delgado vying for the fifth spot. Following them, Arizona's bullpen figures to be quite good, too.
The team will need it.
Boone pointed to the improvements made by the Los Angeles Dodgers and the reigning world champion San Francisco Giants -- along with a San Diego Padres team he believes will surprise people -- as reasons for why the NL West will be a difficult division.
But while many point to the losses of players like Justin Upton and Chris Young as reason for why the offense may take a hit, the team's ability to limit the hits opponents get may keep them in most games.
"But the Diamondbacks have good, solid every day players and a chance, in their rotation, to compete with the upper echelon teams," Boone said. "So I think they're a classic case of if things break right for them they have a chance in the National League West."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.