Updated Feb 20, 2013 - 1:44 pm
D-backs GM: We were close to Upton deal with Rangers and Rays
Upton had been rumored to be on the trade block for the better part of three years, and even before the deal with Atlanta it had been reported that the Diamondbacks had come to an agreement with the Seattle Mariners on a trade involving the right fielder.
As it turns out, that was not the only time the D-backs nearly traded the former number one pick.
"Of course he nixed that," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo of the Mariners trade. "Then I would say even before that we came very close with a three-way deal with Texas and Tampa in the wintertime that didn't end up happening, but it came close."
The Rangers had long been linked to Upton, as they had a need for a right-handed power bat and a surplus of intriguing prospects including shortstop Jurickson Profar. But the only deals that were ever agreed on were with Seattle and Atlanta, and some believe the trade with the Mariners would have benefited Arizona more than the one they made with the Braves.
But the D-backs knew Upton could block a trade to the Mariners, but Towers said the two ball clubs decided to "cross that bridge when we get there."
"It happened to be that we felt, for the first time in two-and-a-half years, the best deal was Seattle," Towers said.
The deal was reported to be relievers Charlie Furbush and Stephen Pryor along with minor-league shortstop Nick Franklin and top pitching prospect Taijuan Walker. But alas, the D-backs settled on a package that included infielder Martin Prado, shortstop Nick Ahmed, first baseman Brandon Drury and pitchers Randall Delgado and Zeke Spruill.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.