Updated Feb 20, 2013 - 1:44 pm
D-backs GM: We were close to Upton deal with Rangers and Rays
Upton had been rumored to be on the trade block for the better part of three years, and even before the deal with Atlanta it had been reported that the Diamondbacks had come to an agreement with the Seattle Mariners on a trade involving the right fielder.
As it turns out, that was not the only time the D-backs nearly traded the former number one pick.
"Of course he nixed that," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo of the Mariners trade. "Then I would say even before that we came very close with a three-way deal with Texas and Tampa in the wintertime that didn't end up happening, but it came close."
The Rangers had long been linked to Upton, as they had a need for a right-handed power bat and a surplus of intriguing prospects including shortstop Jurickson Profar. But the only deals that were ever agreed on were with Seattle and Atlanta, and some believe the trade with the Mariners would have benefited Arizona more than the one they made with the Braves.
But the D-backs knew Upton could block a trade to the Mariners, but Towers said the two ball clubs decided to "cross that bridge when we get there."
"It happened to be that we felt, for the first time in two-and-a-half years, the best deal was Seattle," Towers said.
The deal was reported to be relievers Charlie Furbush and Stephen Pryor along with minor-league shortstop Nick Franklin and top pitching prospect Taijuan Walker. But alas, the D-backs settled on a package that included infielder Martin Prado, shortstop Nick Ahmed, first baseman Brandon Drury and pitchers Randall Delgado and Zeke Spruill.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.