Updated Feb 20, 2013 - 2:48 pm
D-backs GM Towers: 'We're going to be pests'
Having finished an offseason that saw the team unload high-profile underachievers Trevor Bauer, Justin Upton and Chris Young in exchange for players who lack big-time name recognition, many around baseball believe the D-backs are trying to prove that grit beats talent.
"I like those kinds of players, personally," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "I think they're talented too."
In a way, simply describing the players Arizona acquired as gritty does them a disservice. Martin Prado, for instance, is a career .295 hitter who doesn't strike out often and can play many different positions on the field. However, Towers doesn't hide from the fact that the roster he's constructed is filled with players who will work hard on a consistent basis.
"I think that's an intangible that those guys possess, but there's also a great deal of talent that they bring to the field each and every day," he said.
So while there may not be any "stars" on the team, Towers believes he's assembled a group that will be very competitive in 2013.
"We're going to be pests, we're going to be one of those teams that just won't go away," he said. "I will say, after I think our fans and you all get a chance to watch these guys this year, my intuition and my gut feel is right now is I don't know how it's going to equate to wins and losses, but I know they're going to like the way they play the game.
"They're not going to give up, they're going to hustle at all times. There's going to be a speed dynamic that we haven't had. Their uniforms are going to be dirty at the end of the game, and they're not going to give in."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Yoke of Leadership
- D-backs' GM Kevin Towers: If improvement doesn't happen, 'heads are gonna roll'
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?