Updated Feb 20, 2013 - 2:48 pm
D-backs GM Towers: 'We're going to be pests'
Having finished an offseason that saw the team unload high-profile underachievers Trevor Bauer, Justin Upton and Chris Young in exchange for players who lack big-time name recognition, many around baseball believe the D-backs are trying to prove that grit beats talent.
"I like those kinds of players, personally," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "I think they're talented too."
In a way, simply describing the players Arizona acquired as gritty does them a disservice. Martin Prado, for instance, is a career .295 hitter who doesn't strike out often and can play many different positions on the field. However, Towers doesn't hide from the fact that the roster he's constructed is filled with players who will work hard on a consistent basis.
"I think that's an intangible that those guys possess, but there's also a great deal of talent that they bring to the field each and every day," he said.
So while there may not be any "stars" on the team, Towers believes he's assembled a group that will be very competitive in 2013.
"We're going to be pests, we're going to be one of those teams that just won't go away," he said. "I will say, after I think our fans and you all get a chance to watch these guys this year, my intuition and my gut feel is right now is I don't know how it's going to equate to wins and losses, but I know they're going to like the way they play the game.
"They're not going to give up, they're going to hustle at all times. There's going to be a speed dynamic that we haven't had. Their uniforms are going to be dirty at the end of the game, and they're not going to give in."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.