'Nice Work If You Can Get It' to close in June
NEW YORK (AP) - The work is indeed nice, but it won't last forever- Broadway's musical "Nice Work If You Can Get It" will be making a lot of people unemployed this June.
Producers said Wednesday the Tony-nominated production will play its final performance on June 15 after 27 previews and 478 regular performances at the Imperial Theatre.
"Nice Work If You Can Get It" is a screwball romantic comedy that takes place in the 1920s and tells the story of a female bootlegger who meets a wealthy, often-drunken playboy, played by Matthew Broderick. He had said June 15 was his last show.
Book writer Joe DiPietro and director and choreographer Kathleen Marshall raided the Gershwin song catalog to cobble together a sumptuous score including "S'Wonderful" and "Fascinating Rhythm."
Judy Kaye and Michael McGrath received best supporting actors in a musical Tonys. The musical itself lost the best musical revival award to another show with Gershwin songs, "The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Nuño denied first NL victory, D-backs bullpen implodes in crushing loss to Pirates
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.