'Nice Work If You Can Get It' to close in June
NEW YORK (AP) - The work is indeed nice, but it won't last forever- Broadway's musical "Nice Work If You Can Get It" will be making a lot of people unemployed this June.
Producers said Wednesday the Tony-nominated production will play its final performance on June 15 after 27 previews and 478 regular performances at the Imperial Theatre.
"Nice Work If You Can Get It" is a screwball romantic comedy that takes place in the 1920s and tells the story of a female bootlegger who meets a wealthy, often-drunken playboy, played by Matthew Broderick. He had said June 15 was his last show.
Book writer Joe DiPietro and director and choreographer Kathleen Marshall raided the Gershwin song catalog to cobble together a sumptuous score including "S'Wonderful" and "Fascinating Rhythm."
Judy Kaye and Michael McGrath received best supporting actors in a musical Tonys. The musical itself lost the best musical revival award to another show with Gershwin songs, "The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.