Updated Feb 21, 2013 - 6:08 pm
D-backs' Gibson: Wade Miley can build off rookie season
For Arizona Diamondbacks left-hander Wade Miley, his rookie campaign unfolded like a storybook tale.
The D-backs' southpaw posted a 16-11 record, 3.33 ERA and 1.18 WHIP in 2012. Miley also broke all kinds of D-backs' rookie records, including setting new marks for wins (16), starts (29) and innings pitched (194.2).
But despite tying for the sixth-most wins and compiling the 10th-best ERA in the NL, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson told reporters on Thursday he expects his promising pitcher to build upon his breakout season.
"I think it's all really the way you think about it. I think he'll try and improve upon it. I think you go out and you prepare yourself and you try to even get better at that I guess and better at your execution," Gibson said.
Miley also represented the D-backs at the All-Star Game and finished second in the National League Rookie of the Year balloting to Washington Nationals phenom Bryce Harper.
Still, Gibson feels there's quite of a few areas of Miley's game that could be improved upon moving forward.
"He's got to become a better fielder, his move has to become better," Gibson said. "He has to hold runners better, he has to handle the bat better. He's focused on that."
While there's always the possibility Miley could suffer a drop off in production from his rookie season, Gibson doesn't think his left-hander will fall victim to a sophomore slump.
"I think what last year does is gives him confidence," Gibson stated. "He knows that he belongs. He knows he can do it and if he gets off to a rough start then we'll try and help him remain in the process and not the immediate result."
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.