Updated Feb 22, 2013 - 6:10 pm
Josh Booty on making the Diamondbacks: 'I think there's a chance'
No big challenge, right?
The winner of MLB Newtork's The Next Knuckler, Booty told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo he thinks he has a shot.
"I think that there's a chance, even if it's small," Booty said.
Booty, 37, has MLB experience. The number five overall selection in the 1994 draft by the Florida Marlins, he reached the big leagues as a shortstop.
Now, though, he's aiming to be a soft-throwing knuckleball pitcher. A soft-throwing knuckleball pitcher who happened to reach 90 MPH on the radar gun at camp Friday.
"I'm not saying there's a real chance for me to make a team out of camp, but if they'll keep me here and extend it and do some work I think with 30 or 40 different sessions I would have an opportunity," he said. "If you can throw that knuckleball for strikes; it's such a change of pace on what everybody else is doing it will throw people for a loop."
That it would, and if he can harness the pitch, the Diamondbacks may have something. Not many pitchers have had success with the knuckleball in the majors -- especially in recent history -- though the 2012 NL Cy Young Award winner, R.A. Dickey, throws it.
So it can be done, and Booty hopes he's next in the line of players who have reinvented themselves by way of the the pitch.
"Every knuckleballer has an unbelievable story," he said. "Everybody, because they had arm trouble or something, something someone saw...every knuckleballer has a weird story, so why not?"
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?