Updated Feb 22, 2013 - 6:10 pm
Josh Booty on making the Diamondbacks: 'I think there's a chance'
No big challenge, right?
The winner of MLB Newtork's The Next Knuckler, Booty told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo he thinks he has a shot.
"I think that there's a chance, even if it's small," Booty said.
Booty, 37, has MLB experience. The number five overall selection in the 1994 draft by the Florida Marlins, he reached the big leagues as a shortstop.
Now, though, he's aiming to be a soft-throwing knuckleball pitcher. A soft-throwing knuckleball pitcher who happened to reach 90 MPH on the radar gun at camp Friday.
"I'm not saying there's a real chance for me to make a team out of camp, but if they'll keep me here and extend it and do some work I think with 30 or 40 different sessions I would have an opportunity," he said. "If you can throw that knuckleball for strikes; it's such a change of pace on what everybody else is doing it will throw people for a loop."
That it would, and if he can harness the pitch, the Diamondbacks may have something. Not many pitchers have had success with the knuckleball in the majors -- especially in recent history -- though the 2012 NL Cy Young Award winner, R.A. Dickey, throws it.
So it can be done, and Booty hopes he's next in the line of players who have reinvented themselves by way of the the pitch.
"Every knuckleballer has an unbelievable story," he said. "Everybody, because they had arm trouble or something, something someone saw...every knuckleballer has a weird story, so why not?"
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Yoke of Leadership
- D-backs' GM Kevin Towers: If improvement doesn't happen, 'heads are gonna roll'
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?