Updated Feb 22, 2013 - 6:10 pm
Josh Booty on making the Diamondbacks: 'I think there's a chance'
No big challenge, right?
The winner of MLB Newtork's The Next Knuckler, Booty told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo he thinks he has a shot.
"I think that there's a chance, even if it's small," Booty said.
Booty, 37, has MLB experience. The number five overall selection in the 1994 draft by the Florida Marlins, he reached the big leagues as a shortstop.
Now, though, he's aiming to be a soft-throwing knuckleball pitcher. A soft-throwing knuckleball pitcher who happened to reach 90 MPH on the radar gun at camp Friday.
"I'm not saying there's a real chance for me to make a team out of camp, but if they'll keep me here and extend it and do some work I think with 30 or 40 different sessions I would have an opportunity," he said. "If you can throw that knuckleball for strikes; it's such a change of pace on what everybody else is doing it will throw people for a loop."
That it would, and if he can harness the pitch, the Diamondbacks may have something. Not many pitchers have had success with the knuckleball in the majors -- especially in recent history -- though the 2012 NL Cy Young Award winner, R.A. Dickey, throws it.
So it can be done, and Booty hopes he's next in the line of players who have reinvented themselves by way of the the pitch.
"Every knuckleballer has an unbelievable story," he said. "Everybody, because they had arm trouble or something, something someone saw...every knuckleballer has a weird story, so why not?"
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.