Author and illustrator create Sandy Hook tribute
NEW YORK (AP) - The author of the children's classic "Sarah, Plain and Tall" is teaming up with an acclaimed illustrator for a tribute to the victims of the Sandy Hook school shootings.
Random House Children's Books announced Monday that it will publish the picture story "Snowflakes Fall," by Newbery Medal winner Patricia MacLachlan and her longtime friend and former Newtown, Conn., resident, Steven Kellogg. The book comes out Nov. 12 and will feature words and images about the Connecticut community where a gunman killed 20 elementary school students and six faculty members. The publisher will donate a portion of proceeds to an organization that helps the Sandy Hook community.
MacLachlan won the Newbery, given to the writer of the year's best children's book, in 1986 for "Sarah, Plain and Tall."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.