Author and illustrator create Sandy Hook tribute
NEW YORK (AP) - The author of the children's classic "Sarah, Plain and Tall" is teaming up with an acclaimed illustrator for a tribute to the victims of the Sandy Hook school shootings.
Random House Children's Books announced Monday that it will publish the picture story "Snowflakes Fall," by Newbery Medal winner Patricia MacLachlan and her longtime friend and former Newtown, Conn., resident, Steven Kellogg. The book comes out Nov. 12 and will feature words and images about the Connecticut community where a gunman killed 20 elementary school students and six faculty members. The publisher will donate a portion of proceeds to an organization that helps the Sandy Hook community.
MacLachlan won the Newbery, given to the writer of the year's best children's book, in 1986 for "Sarah, Plain and Tall."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Yoke of Leadership
- D-backs' GM Kevin Towers: If improvement doesn't happen, 'heads are gonna roll'
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?