Ian Kennedy tabbed to start Opening Day for D-backs
"If everything goes right, Ian (Kennedy) is going to start Opening Day," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said Monday. "He's been great for us, I don't know why we'd change that."
Using Gibson's words, "if everything goes right," this will be Kennedy's third straight Opening Day start. Over the last two seasons, the 28-year-old right-hander has gone 36-16 with a 3.43 ERA in 66 starts for the Diamondbacks.
"It's not etched in stone, but that is the way it's set up today," Gibson said before revealing the majority of his pitching rotation to start the season. "It's Kennedy, (Trevor) Cahill, (Wade) Miley, (Brandon) McCarthy and then five, but we can switch the other guys around pretty easily."
There is an open competition for the fifth starter spot between young left-handers Tyler Skaggs and Patrick Corbin and right-hander Randall Delgado, who was acquired from the Atlanta Braves last month.
Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer