Updated Feb 26, 2013 - 8:11 am
Ian Kennedy tabbed to start Opening Day for D-backs
"If everything goes right, Ian (Kennedy) is going to start Opening Day," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said Monday. "He's been great for us, I don't know why we'd change that."
Using Gibson's words, "if everything goes right," this will be Kennedy's third straight Opening Day start. Over the last two seasons, the 28-year-old right-hander has gone 36-16 with a 3.43 ERA in 66 starts for the Diamondbacks.
"It's not etched in stone, but that is the way it's set up today," Gibson said before revealing the majority of his pitching rotation to start the season. "It's Kennedy, (Trevor) Cahill, (Wade) Miley, (Brandon) McCarthy and then five, but we can switch the other guys around pretty easily."
There is an open competition for the fifth starter spot between young left-handers Tyler Skaggs and Patrick Corbin and right-hander Randall Delgado, who was acquired from the Atlanta Braves last month.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.