Updated Feb 26, 2013 - 8:11 am
Ian Kennedy tabbed to start Opening Day for D-backs
"If everything goes right, Ian (Kennedy) is going to start Opening Day," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said Monday. "He's been great for us, I don't know why we'd change that."
Using Gibson's words, "if everything goes right," this will be Kennedy's third straight Opening Day start. Over the last two seasons, the 28-year-old right-hander has gone 36-16 with a 3.43 ERA in 66 starts for the Diamondbacks.
"It's not etched in stone, but that is the way it's set up today," Gibson said before revealing the majority of his pitching rotation to start the season. "It's Kennedy, (Trevor) Cahill, (Wade) Miley, (Brandon) McCarthy and then five, but we can switch the other guys around pretty easily."
There is an open competition for the fifth starter spot between young left-handers Tyler Skaggs and Patrick Corbin and right-hander Randall Delgado, who was acquired from the Atlanta Braves last month.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.