Updated Feb 26, 2013 - 1:24 pm
Miguel Montero to miss second straight game with thumb injury
On Monday Montero was a late scratch from the team's lineup against the Royals in Surprise. Early reports were that Montero was dealing with a splinter in his thumb, but on Tuesday said he's not sure why his thumb swelled. The trainers cut it open and there was no splinter, just some puss.
Manager Kirk Gibson confirmed to reporters Tuesday that Montero would be missing another day, but thinks the catcher should be ready to play on Wednesday.
"It is still a little swollen. Hoping he can play tomorrow," he said. "It's much better but it looked like it was getting infected [Monday] so they've been treating it for that and it seems to be getting calmed down."
Montero had his thumb wrapped again Tuesday but was also eyeing Wednesday for a return to the lineup.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Beckett, Puig silence D-backs in series-clinching win for Dodgers: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Bolsinger struggles in first career start
- Ethier's HR propels Dodgers over Diamondbacks
- D-backs lose early lead, fall to Dodgers: By The Numbers
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.