Updated Feb 26, 2013 - 4:57 pm
Collmenter pitches well in D-backs' win over A's
Starter Josh Collmenter threw two innings, giving up just one hit and recording two strikeouts. After the game Collmenter said he's trying to use his curveball more, adding he's starting to feel more comfortable with it rather than shy away from using it.
The D-backs also got some offense going at Salt River Fields with home runs by Jason Kubel, Adam Eaton and Cliff Pennington. Catcher Wil Nieves and third baseman Jake Lamb also knocked in some runs.
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson was pleased with Collmenter mixing up his pitches.
"Colli, he featured three pitches. The breaking ball, you can tell he's been working on the breaking ball. That's probably about as good as I've seen his breaking ball."
***There was also a game going on Tuesday with the D-backs playing split-squad against the Angels on the road. The Arizona tied that game 7-7***
Next up: The D-backs host the Reds in a 1:10 first pitch. Right hander Brandon McCarthy is scheduled to make the start. It will be the first time McCarthy will face hitters in a live game since getting hit in the head with a line drive last September when he was with the A's. McCarthy had surgery to evacuate an epidural hemorrhage and stabilize a skull fracture. He also sustained a brain contusion in the incident.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.