Pittsburgh theater fires founder, but show goes on
PITTSBURGH (AP) - The Pittsburgh Irish & Classical Theatre has fired its founder and artistic director.
Andrew Paul founded the nonprofit theater company 17 years ago. He says the board of directors fired him Tuesday without warning.
For the last two years Paul has split his time between Pittsburgh and Las Vegas, after his wife got a job there.
Board chairman Eugene O'Sullivan says the theater decided it needed to have a full-time artistic director in Pittsburgh.
Paul says he prides himself on a passionate and "very high-risk vision" that has drawn critical acclaim.
O'Sullivan says Paul was a terrific leader but the season's shows will go on. The first play, "Our Class," is scheduled to open April 10.
Actor-director Alan Stanford has been named interim leader of the company.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.