Pittsburgh theater fires founder, but show goes on
PITTSBURGH (AP) - The Pittsburgh Irish & Classical Theatre has fired its founder and artistic director.
Andrew Paul founded the nonprofit theater company 17 years ago. He says the board of directors fired him Tuesday without warning.
For the last two years Paul has split his time between Pittsburgh and Las Vegas, after his wife got a job there.
Board chairman Eugene O'Sullivan says the theater decided it needed to have a full-time artistic director in Pittsburgh.
Paul says he prides himself on a passionate and "very high-risk vision" that has drawn critical acclaim.
O'Sullivan says Paul was a terrific leader but the season's shows will go on. The first play, "Our Class," is scheduled to open April 10.
Actor-director Alan Stanford has been named interim leader of the company.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.