Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 3:00 pm
D-backs GM: Archie Bradley looks like 'a young Chris Carpenter'
Besides concerns over his personality and ability to pitch at the major league level, one of them is the fact that the organization is deep in top-level pitching prospects.
So, at least in their eyes, Bauer was expendable.
One such prospect is Archie Bradley who, like Bauer, was selected in the 2011 MLB Draft, albeit four spots later.
"Archie Bradley, in our system, we think somebody that has a chance to be a legitimate number one-type starter in the big leagues," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "He was a football quarterback, he's athletic, he's got a power arm with a power breaking ball.
"He reminds me so much of a young Chris Carpenter."
That wouldn't be so bad, as Carpenter has racked up 144 career wins, a 3.76 ERA, three All-Star appearances, a Cy Young award and two World Series championships.
But Bradley, who is just 20, has pitched just one full minor league season, going 12-6 with a 3.84 ERA for Single-A South Bend. He struck out 152 in 136 innings while walking 84. He's a raw talent, but a talent nonetheless.
And one Towers is not afraid to place expectations on.
"This kid would be disappointed if he wasn't a number one," he said, admitting Bradley still has to work his way through the system. "It's just a matter of time before he gets up here, I think, and really has a chance to dominate."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.