Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 3:00 pm
D-backs GM: Archie Bradley looks like 'a young Chris Carpenter'
Besides concerns over his personality and ability to pitch at the major league level, one of them is the fact that the organization is deep in top-level pitching prospects.
So, at least in their eyes, Bauer was expendable.
One such prospect is Archie Bradley who, like Bauer, was selected in the 2011 MLB Draft, albeit four spots later.
"Archie Bradley, in our system, we think somebody that has a chance to be a legitimate number one-type starter in the big leagues," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "He was a football quarterback, he's athletic, he's got a power arm with a power breaking ball.
"He reminds me so much of a young Chris Carpenter."
That wouldn't be so bad, as Carpenter has racked up 144 career wins, a 3.76 ERA, three All-Star appearances, a Cy Young award and two World Series championships.
But Bradley, who is just 20, has pitched just one full minor league season, going 12-6 with a 3.84 ERA for Single-A South Bend. He struck out 152 in 136 innings while walking 84. He's a raw talent, but a talent nonetheless.
And one Towers is not afraid to place expectations on.
"This kid would be disappointed if he wasn't a number one," he said, admitting Bradley still has to work his way through the system. "It's just a matter of time before he gets up here, I think, and really has a chance to dominate."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.