Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 5:32 pm
McCarthy's start a positive in a D-backs' loss
But the D-backs' loss was overshadowed by the impressive start made by right-hander Brandon McCarthy. The 29-year-old made his return to the mound after getting hit in the back of the head by a line drive last September when he was with Oakland.
McCarthy suffered an epidural hemorrhage, brain contusion and skull fracture that required two hours of surgery to relieve pressure.
Wednesday against the Reds, McCarthy threw two solid innings, giving up one earned run, three hits and recording four strikeouts.
Starting catcher Miguel Montero didn't waste any time giving praise to McCarthy and his stuff.
"Everything was working. His fastball command was really good, his breaking ball was really good. Everything was really good," Montero said.
Up next: The D-backs hit the road Thursday to face the Reds again in Goodyear. The game gets underway at 1:05 p.m. Arizona ace Ian Kennedy will make the start. Tyler Skaggs, Eric Smith, Eury De la Rosa, Joe Paterson and Charles Brewer are also expected to pitch.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.