Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 5:32 pm
McCarthy's start a positive in a D-backs' loss
But the D-backs' loss was overshadowed by the impressive start made by right-hander Brandon McCarthy. The 29-year-old made his return to the mound after getting hit in the back of the head by a line drive last September when he was with Oakland.
McCarthy suffered an epidural hemorrhage, brain contusion and skull fracture that required two hours of surgery to relieve pressure.
Wednesday against the Reds, McCarthy threw two solid innings, giving up one earned run, three hits and recording four strikeouts.
Starting catcher Miguel Montero didn't waste any time giving praise to McCarthy and his stuff.
"Everything was working. His fastball command was really good, his breaking ball was really good. Everything was really good," Montero said.
Up next: The D-backs hit the road Thursday to face the Reds again in Goodyear. The game gets underway at 1:05 p.m. Arizona ace Ian Kennedy will make the start. Tyler Skaggs, Eric Smith, Eury De la Rosa, Joe Paterson and Charles Brewer are also expected to pitch.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.