Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 5:32 pm
McCarthy's start a positive in a D-backs' loss
But the D-backs' loss was overshadowed by the impressive start made by right-hander Brandon McCarthy. The 29-year-old made his return to the mound after getting hit in the back of the head by a line drive last September when he was with Oakland.
McCarthy suffered an epidural hemorrhage, brain contusion and skull fracture that required two hours of surgery to relieve pressure.
Wednesday against the Reds, McCarthy threw two solid innings, giving up one earned run, three hits and recording four strikeouts.
Starting catcher Miguel Montero didn't waste any time giving praise to McCarthy and his stuff.
"Everything was working. His fastball command was really good, his breaking ball was really good. Everything was really good," Montero said.
Up next: The D-backs hit the road Thursday to face the Reds again in Goodyear. The game gets underway at 1:05 p.m. Arizona ace Ian Kennedy will make the start. Tyler Skaggs, Eric Smith, Eury De la Rosa, Joe Paterson and Charles Brewer are also expected to pitch.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.