UK palaces charity buys back Diana's dresses
LONDON (AP) - Two dresses worn by Princess Diana will finally return to Britain's palaces after years of being in private ownership abroad.
Historic Royal Palaces, a charity that runs Diana's former residence, Kensington Palace, bought the two gowns on Tuesday at a London auction of the princess's dresses.
The charity said Wednesday the dresses will remain in Britain and will be shown to the public in exhibitions. It hopes to show at least one of the gowns at a display of royal dresses this summer.
The gowns are a Bruce Oldfield black velvet evening gown Diana wore in 1985 and an ivory and pink sequined crepe dress by Catherine Walker worn on a state visit to Brazil in 1991.
The two combined were sold for more than 107,000 pounds ($162,266.)
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.