Young Brazilian dancers wow visiting Royal Ballet
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) - Young dancers performing to Afro-Brazilian music put on an energetic show Saturday to close out an educational visit by representatives from London's Royal Opera House and its Royal Ballet company.
The show at the Afro-Reggae cultural center in the Vigario Geral shantytown impressed Royal Opera chief executive Tony Hall as well as the London ballet troupe's principal dancer, Roberta Marquez, herself a native of Rio.
`'I'm very proud to be Brazilian right now. It's a beautiful project and I get very emotional to see those little kids doing ballet," Marquez said after watching a ballet turn by 20 girls in green tutus. `'It's a wonderful feeling," she added.
This past week, Marquez and other Royal Ballet dancers and teachers shared their knowledge and advice with promising artists during a symposium put on by the company and Afro Reggae.
Educators from both organizations exchanged ideas on how arts can influence child development and self-esteem, helping keep youngsters off the streets and away from a life of crime.
`'I profoundly believe in how arts and culture and music and dance can have a profound effect, I mean a profound effect, on people's lives and on communities," said Hall, who is becoming director of British Broadcasting Corp.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.