Updated Mar 4, 2013 - 5:47 pm
Kirk Gibson on Reds' Dusty Baker: 'He didn't want to play by the rules'
Prior to the spring training matchup between their teams Monday, Gibson and Baker had a bit of a tiff over the use (or non-use) of the designated hitter.
The game was being played at Salt River Fields, and as the home team the D-backs could choose. They wanted their pitchers to hit. Baker felt differently.
"I think we had just a little locker room conversation between the two of us," Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "Two very competitive people.
"He didn't want to play by the rules today and we made him do that. He voiced the way he felt to me and I voiced the way I felt back to him, not a big deal."
Gibson said he could have "let them" use the DH during the game while he could bat his pitcher, but said he wanted to play a National League-style game Monday, nothing more.
"They didn't want to, they had to and he didn't like it," he said. "We played a great National League game [Monday] and we move on.
"If he's pissed off about it I don't really give a s***."
But for the record, Gibson said he respects Baker and feels this will not be a lingering issue, and the Diamondbacks won the game by a score of 3-1.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?