Updated Mar 4, 2013 - 5:47 pm
Kirk Gibson on Reds' Dusty Baker: 'He didn't want to play by the rules'
Prior to the spring training matchup between their teams Monday, Gibson and Baker had a bit of a tiff over the use (or non-use) of the designated hitter.
The game was being played at Salt River Fields, and as the home team the D-backs could choose. They wanted their pitchers to hit. Baker felt differently.
"I think we had just a little locker room conversation between the two of us," Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "Two very competitive people.
"He didn't want to play by the rules today and we made him do that. He voiced the way he felt to me and I voiced the way I felt back to him, not a big deal."
Gibson said he could have "let them" use the DH during the game while he could bat his pitcher, but said he wanted to play a National League-style game Monday, nothing more.
"They didn't want to, they had to and he didn't like it," he said. "We played a great National League game [Monday] and we move on.
"If he's pissed off about it I don't really give a s***."
But for the record, Gibson said he respects Baker and feels this will not be a lingering issue, and the Diamondbacks won the game by a score of 3-1.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest outing
- Wood homers, allows 1 run in Cubs' win
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?