Updated Mar 4, 2013 - 6:48 pm
Oakland Athletics, Mesa come to spring training deal
"We are excited to renew our relationship with the Oakland A's," Mayor Scott Smith said in a release. "We look forward to them being a part of Mesa's spring training family for decades to come."
The deal goes into effect in February 2015.
As part of the deal, the A's have two five-year extension options that could extend the deal to 30 years.
The City of Mesa also announced it is receiving an $8.2 million advance from the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority to improve Hohokam Stadium ahead of the A's arrival.
Prior to their move to Phoenix Municipal Stadium, the A's took spring training in Mesa from 1969 to 1978 and were the first team to play at Hohokam Stadium.
The Cubs will depart Hohokam in 2013 for a new facility Mesa Riverview.
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- D-backs' mystery man David Peralta impresses general manager Kevin Towers
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?