Oakland Athletics, Mesa come to spring training deal
"We are excited to renew our relationship with the Oakland A's," Mayor Scott Smith said in a release. "We look forward to them being a part of Mesa's spring training family for decades to come."
The deal goes into effect in February 2015.
As part of the deal, the A's have two five-year extension options that could extend the deal to 30 years.
The City of Mesa also announced it is receiving an $8.2 million advance from the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority to improve Hohokam Stadium ahead of the A's arrival.
Prior to their move to Phoenix Municipal Stadium, the A's took spring training in Mesa from 1969 to 1978 and were the first team to play at Hohokam Stadium.
The Cubs will depart Hohokam in 2013 for a new facility Mesa Riverview.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer