Didi Gregorius takes batting practice, likely to DH soon
New Arizona Diamondback Didi Gregorius is showing progress from an injury that has kept him off the field so far this spring.
The shortstop took batting practice on Wednesday and will likely start seeing game action soon.
"[Gregorius] took live BP with the minor leaguers," Gibson said Wednesday before the D-backs' spring game with the Royals. "Actually last night I had him warmed up four times to pinch run, so we're going to start integrating him into baseball activities. He threw again today and said it's going great."
Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers said he had a "slight strain of the UCL area, right elbow" back in mid-February just before spring training started.
Gregorius is still working on arm strength but he's expected to get game at-bats on Thursday as the designated hitter.
He is throwing up to 60 feet and has not had any setbacks.
Gregorius was acquired by the team back in December in a trade that sent Trevor Bauer to the Indians.
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.