Updated Mar 6, 2013 - 5:01 pm
Royals pound D-backs, Patrick Corbin struggles
In his second start of the spring, Trevor Cahill allowed one run on six hits in 2.2 innings of work.
The wheels really fell off in the 5th inning.
Patrick Corbin, who is currently battling for the fifth spot in the rotation, issued a lead-off walk to Lorenzo Cain. Then, after a pair of one-out hits, Alex Gordon cleared the bases with a grand slam. He tagged a 3-1 offering from Corbin off the center field batter's eye. The runs were the first allowed this spring by Corbin.
A night after managing four hits against Team Mexico, the Diamondbacks mustered seven hits against six different Royals pitchers. Kila Ka'aihue accounted for two of the hits, including an RBI single in the sixth.
One of the club's top pitching prospects Archie Bradley, the No. 7 overall pick in 2011, made his Cactus League debut. After striking out the first two batters he faced, Bradley gave up back-to-back hits, including a run-scoring double.
He Said It:
"The Royals are a good team," Adam Eaton said after going 1-for-3. "They're coming in ready to fight and fire. It's nice to see that. It's nice to have a team that's going to come in and try to put it on you. We were a little on our heels. We're going to put our best foot forward and continue to learn everyday. That's the main goal of spring training."
Coming Up Next:
The Diamondbacks (5-7-1) head to Maryvale and a game against the Milwaukee Brewers Thursday, March 7. Wade Miley is scheduled to make his second spring start. Chase Anderson, Joe Paterson, Eury De la Rosa, Eric Smith and Eddie Bonine are also slated to pitch.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.