Updated Mar 6, 2013 - 5:01 pm
Royals pound D-backs, Patrick Corbin struggles
In his second start of the spring, Trevor Cahill allowed one run on six hits in 2.2 innings of work.
The wheels really fell off in the 5th inning.
Patrick Corbin, who is currently battling for the fifth spot in the rotation, issued a lead-off walk to Lorenzo Cain. Then, after a pair of one-out hits, Alex Gordon cleared the bases with a grand slam. He tagged a 3-1 offering from Corbin off the center field batter's eye. The runs were the first allowed this spring by Corbin.
A night after managing four hits against Team Mexico, the Diamondbacks mustered seven hits against six different Royals pitchers. Kila Ka'aihue accounted for two of the hits, including an RBI single in the sixth.
One of the club's top pitching prospects Archie Bradley, the No. 7 overall pick in 2011, made his Cactus League debut. After striking out the first two batters he faced, Bradley gave up back-to-back hits, including a run-scoring double.
He Said It:
"The Royals are a good team," Adam Eaton said after going 1-for-3. "They're coming in ready to fight and fire. It's nice to see that. It's nice to have a team that's going to come in and try to put it on you. We were a little on our heels. We're going to put our best foot forward and continue to learn everyday. That's the main goal of spring training."
Coming Up Next:
The Diamondbacks (5-7-1) head to Maryvale and a game against the Milwaukee Brewers Thursday, March 7. Wade Miley is scheduled to make his second spring start. Chase Anderson, Joe Paterson, Eury De la Rosa, Eric Smith and Eddie Bonine are also slated to pitch.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Diamondbacks reinstate Cody Ross; designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.