Updated Mar 6, 2013 - 5:01 pm
Royals pound D-backs, Patrick Corbin struggles
In his second start of the spring, Trevor Cahill allowed one run on six hits in 2.2 innings of work.
The wheels really fell off in the 5th inning.
Patrick Corbin, who is currently battling for the fifth spot in the rotation, issued a lead-off walk to Lorenzo Cain. Then, after a pair of one-out hits, Alex Gordon cleared the bases with a grand slam. He tagged a 3-1 offering from Corbin off the center field batter's eye. The runs were the first allowed this spring by Corbin.
A night after managing four hits against Team Mexico, the Diamondbacks mustered seven hits against six different Royals pitchers. Kila Ka'aihue accounted for two of the hits, including an RBI single in the sixth.
One of the club's top pitching prospects Archie Bradley, the No. 7 overall pick in 2011, made his Cactus League debut. After striking out the first two batters he faced, Bradley gave up back-to-back hits, including a run-scoring double.
He Said It:
"The Royals are a good team," Adam Eaton said after going 1-for-3. "They're coming in ready to fight and fire. It's nice to see that. It's nice to have a team that's going to come in and try to put it on you. We were a little on our heels. We're going to put our best foot forward and continue to learn everyday. That's the main goal of spring training."
Coming Up Next:
The Diamondbacks (5-7-1) head to Maryvale and a game against the Milwaukee Brewers Thursday, March 7. Wade Miley is scheduled to make his second spring start. Chase Anderson, Joe Paterson, Eury De la Rosa, Eric Smith and Eddie Bonine are also slated to pitch.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?