Royals pound D-backs, Patrick Corbin struggles
In his second start of the spring, Trevor Cahill allowed one run on six hits in 2.2 innings of work.
The wheels really fell off in the 5th inning.
Patrick Corbin, who is currently battling for the fifth spot in the rotation, issued a lead-off walk to Lorenzo Cain. Then, after a pair of one-out hits, Alex Gordon cleared the bases with a grand slam. He tagged a 3-1 offering from Corbin off the center field batter's eye. The runs were the first allowed this spring by Corbin.
A night after managing four hits against Team Mexico, the Diamondbacks mustered seven hits against six different Royals pitchers. Kila Ka'aihue accounted for two of the hits, including an RBI single in the sixth.
One of the club's top pitching prospects Archie Bradley, the No. 7 overall pick in 2011, made his Cactus League debut. After striking out the first two batters he faced, Bradley gave up back-to-back hits, including a run-scoring double.
He Said It:
"The Royals are a good team," Adam Eaton said after going 1-for-3. "They're coming in ready to fight and fire. It's nice to see that. It's nice to have a team that's going to come in and try to put it on you. We were a little on our heels. We're going to put our best foot forward and continue to learn everyday. That's the main goal of spring training."
Coming Up Next:
The Diamondbacks (5-7-1) head to Maryvale and a game against the Milwaukee Brewers Thursday, March 7. Wade Miley is scheduled to make his second spring start. Chase Anderson, Joe Paterson, Eury De la Rosa, Eric Smith and Eddie Bonine are also slated to pitch.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Didi Gregorius, D-backs' shortstop - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf get to know the D-backs' shortstop.
- Daniel Hudson, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf ask Huddy how he's feeling, how his rehab is going and is he regaining control of his pi
- Josh Collmenter, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24The D-backs' pitcher sat down with Doug & Wolf at Chase Field.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf had a great conversation with the D-backs' pitcher.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series