Updated Mar 6, 2013 - 5:01 pm
Royals pound D-backs, Patrick Corbin struggles
In his second start of the spring, Trevor Cahill allowed one run on six hits in 2.2 innings of work.
The wheels really fell off in the 5th inning.
Patrick Corbin, who is currently battling for the fifth spot in the rotation, issued a lead-off walk to Lorenzo Cain. Then, after a pair of one-out hits, Alex Gordon cleared the bases with a grand slam. He tagged a 3-1 offering from Corbin off the center field batter's eye. The runs were the first allowed this spring by Corbin.
A night after managing four hits against Team Mexico, the Diamondbacks mustered seven hits against six different Royals pitchers. Kila Ka'aihue accounted for two of the hits, including an RBI single in the sixth.
One of the club's top pitching prospects Archie Bradley, the No. 7 overall pick in 2011, made his Cactus League debut. After striking out the first two batters he faced, Bradley gave up back-to-back hits, including a run-scoring double.
He Said It:
"The Royals are a good team," Adam Eaton said after going 1-for-3. "They're coming in ready to fight and fire. It's nice to see that. It's nice to have a team that's going to come in and try to put it on you. We were a little on our heels. We're going to put our best foot forward and continue to learn everyday. That's the main goal of spring training."
Coming Up Next:
The Diamondbacks (5-7-1) head to Maryvale and a game against the Milwaukee Brewers Thursday, March 7. Wade Miley is scheduled to make his second spring start. Chase Anderson, Joe Paterson, Eury De la Rosa, Eric Smith and Eddie Bonine are also slated to pitch.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.