Updated Mar 8, 2013 - 5:24 pm
MLB analyst: D-backs are still NL West underdogs
The D-backs made a lot of roster moves, acquiring players many deem as "gritty".
MLB Network analyst Harold Reynolds told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo that the D-backs shouldn't be satisfied with that title describing their roster.
"I think the gritty term is a terrible term in baseball," Reynolds said. "Most guys should be gritty anyway."
With the competition in the NL West, Reynolds said the D-backs will need to be much more than gritty to win this division.
"I think the Giants and the Dodgers are the class of the NL West and maybe in the NL," Reynolds said. "It's going to come down to the pitching with the Diamondbacks, which I think is really the strong suit of that club. That pitching is going to carry them more than the offense."
Reynolds isn't ruling out the D-backs in the divisional hunt, but he did say they are not without question marks.
"They're going to compete, (but) the roster is young," Reynolds said. "I don't think the offense is going to be as prolific as most people think."
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Mets complete sweep of Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks are no easy fix, but who should get the chance?
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.