Updated Mar 8, 2013 - 5:24 pm
MLB analyst: D-backs are still NL West underdogs
The D-backs made a lot of roster moves, acquiring players many deem as "gritty".
MLB Network analyst Harold Reynolds told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo that the D-backs shouldn't be satisfied with that title describing their roster.
"I think the gritty term is a terrible term in baseball," Reynolds said. "Most guys should be gritty anyway."
With the competition in the NL West, Reynolds said the D-backs will need to be much more than gritty to win this division.
"I think the Giants and the Dodgers are the class of the NL West and maybe in the NL," Reynolds said. "It's going to come down to the pitching with the Diamondbacks, which I think is really the strong suit of that club. That pitching is going to carry them more than the offense."
Reynolds isn't ruling out the D-backs in the divisional hunt, but he did say they are not without question marks.
"They're going to compete, (but) the roster is young," Reynolds said. "I don't think the offense is going to be as prolific as most people think."
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.