Updated Mar 8, 2013 - 5:24 pm
MLB analyst: D-backs are still NL West underdogs
The D-backs made a lot of roster moves, acquiring players many deem as "gritty".
MLB Network analyst Harold Reynolds told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo that the D-backs shouldn't be satisfied with that title describing their roster.
"I think the gritty term is a terrible term in baseball," Reynolds said. "Most guys should be gritty anyway."
With the competition in the NL West, Reynolds said the D-backs will need to be much more than gritty to win this division.
"I think the Giants and the Dodgers are the class of the NL West and maybe in the NL," Reynolds said. "It's going to come down to the pitching with the Diamondbacks, which I think is really the strong suit of that club. That pitching is going to carry them more than the offense."
Reynolds isn't ruling out the D-backs in the divisional hunt, but he did say they are not without question marks.
"They're going to compete, (but) the roster is young," Reynolds said. "I don't think the offense is going to be as prolific as most people think."
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- MLB insider on Diamondbacks: 'It's as if they've never seen Mark Trumbo play'
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Mark Trumbo: By the numbers
- Mark Trumbo has weaknesses, but he's a good fit with the Diamondbacks
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.