Updated Mar 8, 2013 - 4:50 pm
D-backs game vs. Angels shortened by hail storm
The D-backs' originally-scheduled starter, Randall Delgado, was scratched after struggling to get warmed up prior to the game. Instead, D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler was called upon to warm up quickly and make the start. The sidearmer gave up two hits, one run and a walk in one inning and 30 pitches of work before yielding the mound to Delgado, who pitched 1 2/3 innings before the game was called by umpire Jim Wolf.
Offensively, Aaron Hill hit a first inning home run -- his first of 2013 Spring Training -- to give the D-backs their only run, as Didi Gregorius tallied the only other hit, a single.
He said it:
When asked about the inclement weather, catcher Wil Nieves entertained reporters with a comical rant.
"I looked at the umpire before the game started and said, 'We're really playing this?' ... It was bad. The ball just looked like a dark object. It was so hard to see... I'm glad they stopped it, because someone was going to get hurt and it was probably going to be me."
Coming up next:
The D-backs face the White Sox on Saturday at 1:10 p.m. at Salt River Fields. Brandon McCarthy is scheduled to take the mound and RHP Zeke Spruill, RHP Starling Peralta, RHP Garrett Mock, LHP Tony Sipp, LHP Matt Reynolds, and RHP Eric Smith are also all scheduled to make appearances, unless Kirk Gibson moved Friday's scheduled pitchers back a game -- a decision he said he's currently undecided on.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.