Updated Mar 12, 2013 - 3:22 pm
D-backs manager says staying healthy is key for Adam Eaton
A sparkplug at the top of the order, Eaton's speed and ability to get on base would be huge for a Diamondbacks team that figures to manufacture the majority of its runs this season.
"You can see the things that he brings to our ball club," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "He learns things every day."
Gibson said one of the things Eaton still needs to learn is how to stay healthy. The 24-year-old lost part of last season due to a broken hand, and Gibson noted Eaton's style of play, which makes him effective, is also part of what makes him a little injury prone.
"I don't know if you've ever watched how he runs down to first base, how even if he's out by 10 feet and he lunges at the bag," Gibson said. "And that's just not good, it's not smart."
Gibson said he discusses stuff like that with Eaton, who is hitting .395 with two home runs, nine RBI and one stolen base this spring. It's about being able to make it through an entire season, after all.
"One day he hit the bat, and the bat rack after he struck out," Gibson said. "That's a good way to get out of the lineup."
Gibson said Eaton "cares so much" that he has to pull back on the reins a little bit at times, all in an effort to get as much out of the player as possible.
"It's important to play him so you can help fine-tune his game and put some polish on it," Gibson said. "So he understands how he can best help his club throughout the whole year."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.