Malaysia's Tan Twan Eng wins Man Asia book prize
HONG KONG (AP) - Malaysian author Tan Twan Eng's novel "The Garden of Evening Mists" has won the 2012 Man Asian Literary Prize.
Tan's novel is set in the traumatic aftermath of Japan's wartime occupation of Malaya, now known as Malaysia. It tells the story of a young law school graduate who is the sole survivor of a Japanese work camp. She encounters the secretive owner and creator of the country's only Japanese garden.
The judges called it "a novel of subtle power and redemptive grace."
The book beat four others Thursday night to win the $30,000 award, one of Asia's most prestigious. Tan's book is only the second winner to be written in English.
Tan worked as an intellectual property lawyer before becoming an author. He has written one other novel.
The other novels on the short list were "Between Clay and Dust" by Musharraf Ali Farooqi of Pakistan, "The Briefcase" by Hiromi Kawakami of Japan, "Silent House" by Orhan Pamuk of Turkey and "Narcopolis" by Jeet Thayil of India.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?