Malaysia's Tan Twan Eng wins Man Asia book prize
HONG KONG (AP) - Malaysian author Tan Twan Eng's novel "The Garden of Evening Mists" has won the 2012 Man Asian Literary Prize.
Tan's novel is set in the traumatic aftermath of Japan's wartime occupation of Malaya, now known as Malaysia. It tells the story of a young law school graduate who is the sole survivor of a Japanese work camp. She encounters the secretive owner and creator of the country's only Japanese garden.
The judges called it "a novel of subtle power and redemptive grace."
The book beat four others Thursday night to win the $30,000 award, one of Asia's most prestigious. Tan's book is only the second winner to be written in English.
Tan worked as an intellectual property lawyer before becoming an author. He has written one other novel.
The other novels on the short list were "Between Clay and Dust" by Musharraf Ali Farooqi of Pakistan, "The Briefcase" by Hiromi Kawakami of Japan, "Silent House" by Orhan Pamuk of Turkey and "Narcopolis" by Jeet Thayil of India.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.