Carole King musical eyes Broadway stage
NEW YORK (AP) - A musical based on the woman behind such pop standards as "It's Too Late," "You've Got a Friend" and "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" hopes to make it to Broadway.
Producers on Friday announced plans to take "Beautiful: The Carole King Musical" to the Great White Way by spring 2014. The story is written by Academy Award-nominated filmmaker Douglas McGrath.
King composed dozens of 1960s hits with then-husband Gerry Goffin before emerging as a recording artist in her own right. Her 25 million-selling "Tapestry" launched the singer-songwriter era in 1971 and became the first real blockbuster album.
The musical will chart King's rise set to the music that made her an icon.
Many of her songs became known through others, like "Pleasant Valley Sunday" (the Monkees), "Crying in the Rain" (Everly Brothers), "Take Good Care of My Baby" (Bobby Vee) and "You've Got a Friend" (James Taylor).
King's pre-"Tapestry" hits also included "Up on the Roof" (Drifters), "Loco-Motion" (Little Eva), "Will You Love Me Tomorrow (Shirelles), "One Fine Day" (Chiffons) and "Chains" (Cookies, later covered by the Beatles).
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.