Updated Mar 15, 2013 - 4:14 pm
McCarthy solid as Diamondbacks tie A's
Despite hitting a "wall," Diamondbacks starter Brandon McCarthy pitched a solid outing. He threw four innings, allowed three hits and two earned runs while striking out six.
Also pitching for Arizona Friday was groundball magnet Brad Ziegler. Once again he didn't disappoint, going one inning with one strikeout.
Offensively, the D-backs played some small ball to get on the board in the first inning with RBIs by right fielder Gerardo Parra and first baseman Paul Goldschmidt.
Arizona recorded ten hits on the day but also left nine baserunners stranded.
Former Diamondbacks center fielder Chris Young has not played in a single game against Arizona this spring. The A's have faced the D-backs three times thus far.
He Said It:
Starting pitcher Brandon McCarthy was feeling the heat, literally, in the fourth inning. The thermometer hit 93 Friday and McCarthy said that caused him to hit the wall.
He was thankful for the called strike that ended his outing in his final inning.
"Yeah, that was not a strike, but I am really thankful for it. It's one of those ones that makes the day look a lot better at least and lets me end on a good note, but I was struggling to execute there."
The called third strike came against Oakland first baseman Daric Barton in the top of the fourth inning with a runner on second. The fourth inning is also when McCarthy gave up his only two earned runs of the game.
The D-backs head to Peoria to take on the Padres Saturday. Righty Ian Kennedy will start for Arizona and Tyson Ross will go for the Padres. Tyler Skaggs and J.J. Putz are also scheduled to pitch for the D-backs. First pitch is slated for 1:05 p.m.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?