Updated Mar 18, 2013 - 7:13 am
Hill, Eaton spark offense in D-backs' big win over Dodgers
The Arizona Diamondbacks beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 9-1 at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick on Sunday afternoon in front of another sellout crowd.
Second baseman Aaron Hill was firing on all cylinders offensively. He was 3-for-3 at the plate Sunday with four RBI, two runs scored and left the game just a triple short of the cycle.
Adam Eaton also got things going on offense and did exactly what manager Kirk Gibson said he's looking for from his lead-off hitter. Eaton went 2-for-2 with two runs scored and a walk, and also was 1-for-2 in stolen base attempts.
Reliever Brad Zieglar had a rare "off" day on the mound. He came in for starter Trevor Cahill to pitch the sixth and allowed one run and one hit in one inning pitched. The one run was a solo shot by Matt Kemp with two outs in the inning.
The Diamondbacks announced that Sunday's sold-out crowd of 12,809 set the single-game record for Salt River Fields. The previous record was 12,799 and it was set last year against the Dodgers on March 31. Salt River Fields is in its third season, the D-backs have sold out seven of their first 12 games. The combined attendance this spring between the D-backs and the Rockies is 316,208. That's the third-highest ever for a two-team complex.
He Said It:
"Trevor threw the ball really well, the best he's thrown it all spring. I thought the last inning was his best inning. He threw two really nice curveballs that inning and then some changeups. Just made more strikes today and had better command of where he wanted to throw as well." -- Manager Kirk Gibson praised starting pitcher Trevor Cahill.
The Diamondbacks will face the Dodgers again on Monday on the road at Camelback Ranch. Right-hander Randall Delgado is scheduled to make the start for Arizona and will be opposed by the Dodgers' Josh Beckett. Matt Reynolds, Tony Sipp and Brad Ziegler are also scheduled to pitch.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.