Updated Mar 18, 2013 - 7:13 am
Hill, Eaton spark offense in D-backs' big win over Dodgers
The Arizona Diamondbacks beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 9-1 at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick on Sunday afternoon in front of another sellout crowd.
Second baseman Aaron Hill was firing on all cylinders offensively. He was 3-for-3 at the plate Sunday with four RBI, two runs scored and left the game just a triple short of the cycle.
Adam Eaton also got things going on offense and did exactly what manager Kirk Gibson said he's looking for from his lead-off hitter. Eaton went 2-for-2 with two runs scored and a walk, and also was 1-for-2 in stolen base attempts.
Reliever Brad Zieglar had a rare "off" day on the mound. He came in for starter Trevor Cahill to pitch the sixth and allowed one run and one hit in one inning pitched. The one run was a solo shot by Matt Kemp with two outs in the inning.
The Diamondbacks announced that Sunday's sold-out crowd of 12,809 set the single-game record for Salt River Fields. The previous record was 12,799 and it was set last year against the Dodgers on March 31. Salt River Fields is in its third season, the D-backs have sold out seven of their first 12 games. The combined attendance this spring between the D-backs and the Rockies is 316,208. That's the third-highest ever for a two-team complex.
He Said It:
"Trevor threw the ball really well, the best he's thrown it all spring. I thought the last inning was his best inning. He threw two really nice curveballs that inning and then some changeups. Just made more strikes today and had better command of where he wanted to throw as well." -- Manager Kirk Gibson praised starting pitcher Trevor Cahill.
The Diamondbacks will face the Dodgers again on Monday on the road at Camelback Ranch. Right-hander Randall Delgado is scheduled to make the start for Arizona and will be opposed by the Dodgers' Josh Beckett. Matt Reynolds, Tony Sipp and Brad Ziegler are also scheduled to pitch.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.