Gergiev fund embezzlement case postponed
MOSCOW (AP) - A court in Moscow has postponed initial hearings in the case of two men charged with embezzling 245 million rubles ($8 million) from the charitable foundation of renowned conductor Valery Gergiev.
The foundation's former director Igor Zotov and his alleged accomplice Kazbek Lakuti are charged with siphoning off the money to buy six apartments in an elite building in Moscow.
Moscow's Tverskoi Court was to begin hearings in the case on Monday, but postponed them for procedural reasons until April 4.
Gergiev, who is artistic director of the Mariinsky Theater in St. Petersburg and principal conductor of the London Symphony Orchestra, started the foundation in 2003 to fund cultural and educational projects.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.