Updated Mar 18, 2013 - 5:51 pm
D-backs' Randall Delgado gaining confidence
Delgado made his fifth appearance of the spring Monday for the D-backs, yielding two earned runs and six hits while striking out three and walking one in five innings of work.
"I think I did the same as the last time I pitched. I felt good," Delgado said. "A good call from Montero again and there wasn't too many problems."
Gibson was also pleased with Delgado's outing and seems to think the Panamanian righty mixed his pitches well.
"He threw good, got in a little bit of trouble but overall threw the ball well," Gibson said after Monday's 5-3 win over the Dodgers at Camelback Ranch. "He threw a lot of changeups today and he was facing a pretty good lineup today too. They didn't bite on a lot of stuff early, made him throw his fastball."
Delgado has now thrown 13.2 innings this spring and allowed just eight runs with three walks and 11 strikeouts. The 23-year-old is gaining confidence with his entire repertoire.
"I practiced everything -- curveball, changeup, everything and I think it worked."
Delgado is in his first season with Arizona after the seven-player trade on January 24th that brought him from Atlanta. Gibson agrees that he sees Delgado getting more comfortable as the spring continues.
"I think he's building confidence, no question about it. He's just getting more familiar with his team, this organization, and the catchers," he said. "He's just gotta trust his stuff. I definitely think he's got more confidence. I just think he's more comfortable."
In his last three appearances, Delgado has allowed just three earned runs over 11 innings.
Delgado and lefty Patrick Corbin are vying for the final spot in the D-backs' season-opening rotation. Left-hander Tyler Skaggs was optioned to Triple-A Reno Monday.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.