Updated Mar 18, 2013 - 5:51 pm
D-backs' Randall Delgado gaining confidence
Delgado made his fifth appearance of the spring Monday for the D-backs, yielding two earned runs and six hits while striking out three and walking one in five innings of work.
"I think I did the same as the last time I pitched. I felt good," Delgado said. "A good call from Montero again and there wasn't too many problems."
Gibson was also pleased with Delgado's outing and seems to think the Panamanian righty mixed his pitches well.
"He threw good, got in a little bit of trouble but overall threw the ball well," Gibson said after Monday's 5-3 win over the Dodgers at Camelback Ranch. "He threw a lot of changeups today and he was facing a pretty good lineup today too. They didn't bite on a lot of stuff early, made him throw his fastball."
Delgado has now thrown 13.2 innings this spring and allowed just eight runs with three walks and 11 strikeouts. The 23-year-old is gaining confidence with his entire repertoire.
"I practiced everything -- curveball, changeup, everything and I think it worked."
Delgado is in his first season with Arizona after the seven-player trade on January 24th that brought him from Atlanta. Gibson agrees that he sees Delgado getting more comfortable as the spring continues.
"I think he's building confidence, no question about it. He's just getting more familiar with his team, this organization, and the catchers," he said. "He's just gotta trust his stuff. I definitely think he's got more confidence. I just think he's more comfortable."
In his last three appearances, Delgado has allowed just three earned runs over 11 innings.
Delgado and lefty Patrick Corbin are vying for the final spot in the D-backs' season-opening rotation. Left-hander Tyler Skaggs was optioned to Triple-A Reno Monday.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.