Updated Mar 18, 2013 - 5:51 pm
D-backs' Randall Delgado gaining confidence
Delgado made his fifth appearance of the spring Monday for the D-backs, yielding two earned runs and six hits while striking out three and walking one in five innings of work.
"I think I did the same as the last time I pitched. I felt good," Delgado said. "A good call from Montero again and there wasn't too many problems."
Gibson was also pleased with Delgado's outing and seems to think the Panamanian righty mixed his pitches well.
"He threw good, got in a little bit of trouble but overall threw the ball well," Gibson said after Monday's 5-3 win over the Dodgers at Camelback Ranch. "He threw a lot of changeups today and he was facing a pretty good lineup today too. They didn't bite on a lot of stuff early, made him throw his fastball."
Delgado has now thrown 13.2 innings this spring and allowed just eight runs with three walks and 11 strikeouts. The 23-year-old is gaining confidence with his entire repertoire.
"I practiced everything -- curveball, changeup, everything and I think it worked."
Delgado is in his first season with Arizona after the seven-player trade on January 24th that brought him from Atlanta. Gibson agrees that he sees Delgado getting more comfortable as the spring continues.
"I think he's building confidence, no question about it. He's just getting more familiar with his team, this organization, and the catchers," he said. "He's just gotta trust his stuff. I definitely think he's got more confidence. I just think he's more comfortable."
In his last three appearances, Delgado has allowed just three earned runs over 11 innings.
Delgado and lefty Patrick Corbin are vying for the final spot in the D-backs' season-opening rotation. Left-hander Tyler Skaggs was optioned to Triple-A Reno Monday.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?