Updated Mar 18, 2013 - 5:51 pm
D-backs' Randall Delgado gaining confidence
Delgado made his fifth appearance of the spring Monday for the D-backs, yielding two earned runs and six hits while striking out three and walking one in five innings of work.
"I think I did the same as the last time I pitched. I felt good," Delgado said. "A good call from Montero again and there wasn't too many problems."
Gibson was also pleased with Delgado's outing and seems to think the Panamanian righty mixed his pitches well.
"He threw good, got in a little bit of trouble but overall threw the ball well," Gibson said after Monday's 5-3 win over the Dodgers at Camelback Ranch. "He threw a lot of changeups today and he was facing a pretty good lineup today too. They didn't bite on a lot of stuff early, made him throw his fastball."
Delgado has now thrown 13.2 innings this spring and allowed just eight runs with three walks and 11 strikeouts. The 23-year-old is gaining confidence with his entire repertoire.
"I practiced everything -- curveball, changeup, everything and I think it worked."
Delgado is in his first season with Arizona after the seven-player trade on January 24th that brought him from Atlanta. Gibson agrees that he sees Delgado getting more comfortable as the spring continues.
"I think he's building confidence, no question about it. He's just getting more familiar with his team, this organization, and the catchers," he said. "He's just gotta trust his stuff. I definitely think he's got more confidence. I just think he's more comfortable."
In his last three appearances, Delgado has allowed just three earned runs over 11 innings.
Delgado and lefty Patrick Corbin are vying for the final spot in the D-backs' season-opening rotation. Left-hander Tyler Skaggs was optioned to Triple-A Reno Monday.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.