Updated Mar 19, 2013 - 6:08 pm
D-backs GM: John McDonald trade is 'percolating'
Acquired by the team late in the 2011 season, McDonald has compiled a .230 batting average with six home runs and 24 RBI as a Diamondback, but his value lies more in his defense, leadership and calming clubhouse presence.
Unfortunately, with Cliff Pennington and Willie Bloomquist on the roster -- along with Didi Gregorius waiting in the wings -- the team just doesn't really need his services anymore, meaning they are looking to do right by the 38-year-old and trade him somewhere he might get some playing time.
"It's hard," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf of 'having' to move someone like McDonald. "We actually, Gibby and I talked to him [Tuesday] -- we've got a great relationship with Johnny. I told him, you know, 'you're never going to be surprised.'"
Towers said he told McDonald, who who is hitting .250 with a couple RBI this spring, that selfishly he'd like to keep him on the roster. But it simply comes down to numbers, as Towers knows the D-backs cannot carry a 26-man roster, and it appears a deal to move the shortstop is near.
"I told him the clubs that have called, that have interest, and one's percolating pretty good right about now," Towers said. "Would like to put him in an environment where a) he gets to play, and b) that's closer to his home in the northeast."
Towers did not divulge which team is close to acquiring McDonald, but said the reason the move has not yet been agreed to is because the final details have just not been agreed upon.
But, it would appear McDonald is not long for the Diamondbacks, and while no one is excited about that prospect, it appears to be the best for all parties involved.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.