Updated Mar 19, 2013 - 6:08 pm
D-backs GM: John McDonald trade is 'percolating'
Acquired by the team late in the 2011 season, McDonald has compiled a .230 batting average with six home runs and 24 RBI as a Diamondback, but his value lies more in his defense, leadership and calming clubhouse presence.
Unfortunately, with Cliff Pennington and Willie Bloomquist on the roster -- along with Didi Gregorius waiting in the wings -- the team just doesn't really need his services anymore, meaning they are looking to do right by the 38-year-old and trade him somewhere he might get some playing time.
"It's hard," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf of 'having' to move someone like McDonald. "We actually, Gibby and I talked to him [Tuesday] -- we've got a great relationship with Johnny. I told him, you know, 'you're never going to be surprised.'"
Towers said he told McDonald, who who is hitting .250 with a couple RBI this spring, that selfishly he'd like to keep him on the roster. But it simply comes down to numbers, as Towers knows the D-backs cannot carry a 26-man roster, and it appears a deal to move the shortstop is near.
"I told him the clubs that have called, that have interest, and one's percolating pretty good right about now," Towers said. "Would like to put him in an environment where a) he gets to play, and b) that's closer to his home in the northeast."
Towers did not divulge which team is close to acquiring McDonald, but said the reason the move has not yet been agreed to is because the final details have just not been agreed upon.
But, it would appear McDonald is not long for the Diamondbacks, and while no one is excited about that prospect, it appears to be the best for all parties involved.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.