Diamondbacks trade John McDonald to Pirates
Well, Wednesday morning the trade was completed, with the D-backs sending McDonald to the Pittsburgh Pirates for a player to be named or cash considerations.
McDonald, 38, was acquired by the Diamondbacks late in the 2011 season in the deal that also brought the team Aaron Hill, and his steady glove along with leadership abilities were invaluable to a young team that needed both.
However, with Willie Bloomquist and Cliff Pennington around to play shortstop and Didi Gregorius waiting in the wings, it became apparent the team had little use (or playing time) for McDonald. Thus, the team sought out a trade.
McDonald appeared in 89 games with the Diamondbacks and batted .230 with six home runs and 24 RBI.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Didi Gregorius, D-backs' shortstop - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf get to know the D-backs' shortstop.
- Daniel Hudson, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf ask Huddy how he's feeling, how his rehab is going and is he regaining control of his pi
- Josh Collmenter, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24The D-backs' pitcher sat down with Doug & Wolf at Chase Field.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf had a great conversation with the D-backs' pitcher.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series