Updated Mar 26, 2013 - 2:39 pm
D-backs manager: Prefer to have Cody Ross start season on DL
Out with a calf injury since early March, Ross has totaled just seven at bats in four games. Though the player and team were initially hoping the 32-year-old would be ready for Opening Day, that has appeared less and less likely as time has gone on and Ross has yet to return to the field.
And, if Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson has his way, Ross will still be in the dugout watching the action when the team takes the field on April 1 against the St. Louis Cardinals.
"I think we're getting close," Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo about a return. "But my thought is I'd prefer him to start on the disabled list.
"We don't need him to rush back and injure it and be out another 6-8 weeks."
Gibson said it's best for the team to "have resolution" to the injury, making sure Ross can play every day when he is able to play again.
So, with no Ross and no Adam Eaton, who is out with his own ailment, it appears the D-backs will open the season with Jason Kubel, Gerardo Parra and AJ Pollock in the outfield.
"Possible," Gibson said of that group.
Gibson said Pollock, who hit .247 with two home runs and eight RBI in 81 at bats last season, is "a very solid ballplayer in all aspects."
"He's hit the ball, he's got a little bit of pop, can go the other way; a little better off lefties. Very good outfielder, makes all the right plays."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.