Updated Mar 27, 2013 - 2:07 pm
D-backs owner Kendrick: Expectation is to reach the postseason
"I believe we've worked very hard to put a team together that can compete, and we start the season with every belief that we're going to be in the playoffs, that's what we strive for every single year," D-backs owner Ken Kendrick told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "We made a lot of moves and we're a different team than the one that was on the field last year, and the nature of how I think we're going to play the game is going to be different this year."
Indeed, the D-backs are different from last year's team that won 81 games and finished third in the NL West, and they're even more different from the squad that won 94 games and the division the previous season.
Gone are players like Justin Upton, Chris Young and Trevor Bauer, and in their place are Martin Prado, Brandon McCarthy and Randall Delgado.
Kendrick, though, acknowledges the difficulty of the NL West but believes the D-backs have upgraded the roster, even if others don't.
The team's moves -- especially the decision to part with Upton -- were met with some skepticism. A 25-year-old who was an MVP candidate just two seasons ago, there are a lot of people interested in how the former top pick will fare in Atlanta.
Kendrick is one of them.
"I think everybody knows I'm a big Justin fan; I was there on day one when we worked him out before he was drafted," Kendrick said, adding he has a long history with Upton and his family. "I think he's a very talented player and I want him to perform well.
"Yet, I think we did the right thing in making the trade that we made and very proud of the players that we have to replace him, and confident they will play well for us."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamonbacks reportedly trying to sign OF Shin-Soo Choo
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: Diamondbacks in serious discussions about acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.