Updated Mar 27, 2013 - 2:35 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks Willie Bloomquist to start season on disabled list
The team announced Wednesday that infielder Willie Bloomquist, who left Tuesday's spring training game against the Angels, has a Grade 2 strain of his right oblique and will start the season on the disabled list.
Bloomquist, 35, was hitting .270 this spring.
"Just a swing, I felt it in my follow through on a swing that I fouled back," Bloomquist told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo of what happened. "I've unfortunately done that once in my career a long time ago when I was with Seattle so I knew instantly kind of what the feeling was."
Bloomquist said the first time he suffered this kind of injury he tried to play through it and made things worse, so he knew better this time and his hopeful he won't be out long.
But, he will start a season on the disabled list for the first time in his career, and after an offseason doing all he could to be ready to go, all he can do is sit back, watch and hope he heals.
The injury comes at an inopportune time for the team, as less than a week ago Arizona traded shortstop John McDonald to Pittsburgh because they had a glut of infielders. With Bloomquist out, the team will likely turn to Cliff Pennington to play shortstop.
"With (center fielder) Adam Eaton going down and we have a couple guys injured here, it's not a good time," he said. "It's never really a good time to get injured, but especially now. The excitement about Opening Day is building up and everyone's getting pumped and getting ready to go, and this kind of just takes the wind out of my sails."
Bloomquist will be eligible to return to the team on April 11, but said his injury is the type he has to take "day-by-day."
"As soon as it's ready to go, I'll be ready to go myself."
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.