Updated Mar 27, 2013 - 2:38 pm
D-backs' Jason Kubel: Ankle better, confidence improving
"It was a good day for him," Gibson said.
The Arizona Diamondbacks' starting left fielder has not had many good days this spring.
Kubel has struggled at the plate and battled both knee and ankle issues. He was removed from Tuesday night's game with what the team described as "left ankle discomfort."
"I felt pretty good," Kubel said after the intrasquad game. "Just a little sore, maybe a little stiff; but, no, (the ankle) felt fine."
Gibson said Kubel ran the bases quite a bit and "ran pretty decently," too.
"He's good at this point," Gibson said smiling. "Let's cross our fingers today. We seem to be a bit bitten right now." The skipper was referring to Willie Bloomquist (strained right oblique) and Aaron Hill (finger, in the lineup vs. the Giants Wednesday), who were both removed from the game Tuesday as well.
Kubel said he did not play in the field; the plate appearances were priority number-one.
"It definitely helps to get as many at bats as you can," he said. "I think [Wednesday] is going to help with confidence a little bit."
Kubel has but six hits in 40 at-bats for a .150 batting average over 17 Cactus League games. In addition, he has one home run and three RBI along with eight walks and 15 strikeouts.
He said he expects to play in the team's last two exhibition games against the Cincinnati Reds Friday and Saturday at Chase Field.
"I'm just, hopefully, looking forward to getting these next couple of days out of here healthy," Kubel said. "I've just been battling things all spring so hopefully everything just starts feeling good, and stays that way."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- D-backs Henry Blanco wants to coach after playing career
- Bronson Arroyo feeling better since scratched spring start
- Opening Series uniform patch revealed for Diamondbacks, Dodgers games in Australia
- D-backs' Chris Owings likely to don Sedona red on his first trip abroad
- D-backs' Archie Bradley struggles in third Cactus League start
- Ferguson Jenkins, Hall of Fame pitcher - Friday March 14How has baseball changed?
- Henry Blanco, Diamondbacks catcher - Thursday March 13Henry Blanco talks about his efforts to make the Diamondbacks roster.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Thursday March 13Archie Bradley reacts to his first rocky start of spring training.
- Tom Verducci, Sports Illustrated MLB writer - Thursday March 13Tom Verducci of Sports Illustrated previews the 2014 Diamondbacks season.
- Chris Owings, Diamondbacks shortstop - Thursday March 13Chris Owings talks about the position battle at shortstop between himself and Didi Gregorius.
- J.J. Putz, Diamondbacks relief pitcher - Thursday March 13Diamondbacks reliever J.J. Putz discusses the team's upcoming trip to Australia.
- Kevin Towers, Diamondbacks GM - Thursday March 13Kevin Towers discusses the battle at shortstop.