Updated Mar 28, 2013 - 5:15 pm
D-backs end Cactus League slate with win over Rangers
Starter Trevor Cahill pitched lights out in his final spring outing. Cahill went 5.2 innings, giving up four hits and one unearned run while striking out 11. He threw 63 of his 88 pitches for strikes.
Cahill's performance came against a Rangers lineup that was made up of all minor leaguers (mostly Class-A) as Texas had sent all of its starters back to Arlington to face Diablos Rojos on Thursday in a 5:05pm first pitch.
The D-backs committed three errors on the day, one each by Paul Goldschmidt, Wil Nieves and Josh Parr. Arizona finished their Cactus League schedule with 25 errors.
• Veteran infielder Josh Wilson got the start at second base Thursday. Before the game, manager Kirk Gibson said that the possibility of keeping Wilson for infield help is one of the decisions he has yet to make before Opening Day on Monday. Infielder Willie Bloomquist will start the season on the disabled list with an oblique injury and insurance policy John McDonald was traded to Pittsburgh last week.
Wilson spent time with Arizona in 2009 and 2011.
He Said It:
"Trevor's fine. All their (Rangers) guys weren't here so it was kind of a good day for him, just come out and relax. He worked on some pitches. A couple pitches he's working on, he was able to do that. He was smiling at the end of the game. He's throwing good. He'll be ready for Tuesday." -- Gibson on Cahill's performance against the Rangers.
The Diamondbacks will play two straight exhibition games against the Cincinnati Reds on Friday and Saturday. Friday night, lefty Patrick Corbin will make his final push to win the D-backs' fifth starter spot against Reds right-hander Bronson Arroyo. Also scheduled to pitch Friday are Brad Ziegler, J.J. Putz and Tony Sipp. First pitch is slated for 6:40 p.m. in downtown Phoenix.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.