Updated Mar 28, 2013 - 5:15 pm
D-backs end Cactus League slate with win over Rangers
Starter Trevor Cahill pitched lights out in his final spring outing. Cahill went 5.2 innings, giving up four hits and one unearned run while striking out 11. He threw 63 of his 88 pitches for strikes.
Cahill's performance came against a Rangers lineup that was made up of all minor leaguers (mostly Class-A) as Texas had sent all of its starters back to Arlington to face Diablos Rojos on Thursday in a 5:05pm first pitch.
The D-backs committed three errors on the day, one each by Paul Goldschmidt, Wil Nieves and Josh Parr. Arizona finished their Cactus League schedule with 25 errors.
• Veteran infielder Josh Wilson got the start at second base Thursday. Before the game, manager Kirk Gibson said that the possibility of keeping Wilson for infield help is one of the decisions he has yet to make before Opening Day on Monday. Infielder Willie Bloomquist will start the season on the disabled list with an oblique injury and insurance policy John McDonald was traded to Pittsburgh last week.
Wilson spent time with Arizona in 2009 and 2011.
He Said It:
"Trevor's fine. All their (Rangers) guys weren't here so it was kind of a good day for him, just come out and relax. He worked on some pitches. A couple pitches he's working on, he was able to do that. He was smiling at the end of the game. He's throwing good. He'll be ready for Tuesday." -- Gibson on Cahill's performance against the Rangers.
The Diamondbacks will play two straight exhibition games against the Cincinnati Reds on Friday and Saturday. Friday night, lefty Patrick Corbin will make his final push to win the D-backs' fifth starter spot against Reds right-hander Bronson Arroyo. Also scheduled to pitch Friday are Brad Ziegler, J.J. Putz and Tony Sipp. First pitch is slated for 6:40 p.m. in downtown Phoenix.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.