Updated Apr 1, 2013 - 7:34 am
Diamondbacks finalize Opening Day 25-man roster
The Arizona Diamondbacks finalized their Opening Day 25-man roster Sunday.
Heading into the weekend the only two unknowns were who would be the team's No. 5 starter and fourth outfielder.
Patrick Corbin beat out right-hander Randall Delgado for the fifth spot in the D-backs' starting rotation, manager Kirk Gibson announced Saturday. In 2012, Corbin was 6-8 with a 4.54 ERA. This spring, he recorded a 3-0 record with a 2.86 ERA in 25 2/3 innings of work.
Delgado, who was acquired from the Atlanta Braves back in January, was optioned to Triple-A Reno following the team's final exhibition Saturday against the Reds.
Alfredo Marte was named the team's fourth outfielder after injuries put Cody Ross and Adam Eaton on the disabled list to start the season. In 2012, Marte hit .294 with 20 home runs and 75 RBI in AA-Mobile.
The D-backs will head into Opening Day with a rotation comprised of Ian Kennedy, Wade Miley, Brandon McCarthy, Trevor Cahill and Corbin.
Arizona's bullpen will feature Josh Collmenter, Matt Reynolds, Tony Sipp, Heath Bell, Brad Ziegler, David Hernandez and closer J.J. Putz.
The rest of the 25-man squad includes catchers Miguel Montero and Wil Nieves, infielders Josh Wilson, Aaron Hill, Paul Goldschmidt, Cliff Pennington, Eric Chavez, utility man Eric Hinske and outfielders Gerardo Parra, Jason Kubel, A.J. Pollock, Martin Prado and Marte.
In addition to the unveiling of the 25-man roster, Kirk Gibson also announced his starting lineup for Monday.
This is batting order for opening day: Parra, Prado, Hill, Montero, Goldy, Kubel, Pollock, Pennington, Kennedy— Kyndra de St. Aubin (@Kyndra620) March 30, 2013
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.