Updated Mar 30, 2013 - 5:29 pm
Wade Miley gets work in during D-backs' 9-0 loss in spring finale
The Diamondbacks wrapped up their spring/exhibition season on Saturday afternoon. They suffered a 9-0 loss to the Reds, but starter Wade Miley didn't seem to suffer any setbacks in his final start. He threw six innings, allowed nine hits, four earned runs while giving up two walks and striking out three. He threw 96 pitches with 63 going for strikes.
Manager Kirk Gibson said before Miley's start that he expected him to get through the game and be healthy for the team's opening week of action. The D-backs shut Miley down earlier this spring when he was experiencing some "dead arm." The left-hander is expected to begin the year as the team's number four starter.
The D-backs allowed 16 hits in Saturday's loss and only recorded 5 hits themselves. That's two games in a row against the Reds that the D-backs have failed to put much offense together.
Reliever Heath Bell also didn't look sharp. He pitched just 2/3 of an inning but gave up four hits and two earned runs with one strikeout.
• Randall Delgado also put in some work in the loss. Heading into Saturday's game he was still battling for the fifth sporting the starting rotation. Saturday he threw 2 1/3 innings and gave up three earned runs on three hits. He's been battling Patrick Corbin all spring for the final spot.
The Diamondbacks will enjoy an off day on Sunday before they host the Cardinals on Monday for opening day at Chase Field. Ian Kennedy will make the start for Arizona and will be opposed by Adam Wainwright for St. Louis. First pitch is slated for 7:10 p.m.
Opening day lineup: Parra, Prado, Hill, Montero, Goldy, Kubel, Pollock, Pennington, Kennedy
The D-backs also announced that former Diamondback and Cy Young award-winner Brandon Webb will throw out the ceremonial first pitch Monday.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Rookie makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.