Roman ring that 'inspired Tolkien' goes on show
LONDON (AP) - A Roman gold ring that could have inspired J.R.R Tolkien to write "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" is going on exhibition in England.
Found in a field in southern England in 1785, the ring is linked to a Roman tablet inscribed with a curse on the thief who stole it.
That tablet was found at the site of a Roman temple dedicated to the god Nodens in Gloucestershire, western England. Tolkien worked on the etymology of the name Nodens in 1929 and visited the temple several times.
Lynn Forest-Hill, education officer for the Tolkien Society, says the exhibition will explore the ring's story and let visitors decide whether it is Tolkien's One Ring.
The exhibition at The Vyne, a historic mansion in southern England, opens Tuesday.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.