Updated Apr 5, 2013 - 3:12 pm
D-backs pitcher Ian Kennedy starts 2013 off right
The song being played over the Chase Field speakers was Taylor Swift's "Trouble," and it is the type of tune generally listened to by young girls.
A guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday, Kennedy said the choice was made by D-backs president Derrick Hall's daughter Kylie.
"She was pumped, and she didn't even want to pick that song because it was Taylor Swift," Kennedy said. "But I said 'no, I want it to be that one' because it is Taylor Swift and I want the reaction that you guys will give me."
Well played, Ian.
Of course, Kennedy is known more for his exploits on the mound than at the plate, and his performance Monday was about as good as one could have hoped.
Facing a tough St. Louis lineup, the D-backs ace allowed just five hits and two runs in seven innings of work. He struck out eight and walked just one.
It was Kennedy's third consecutive Opening Day start, and it was his best performance of the three.
"It is good to throw well in your very first outing of the year," Kennedy said. "And hopefully just take that into the next couple.
"But you like to start out on a good roll like that."
Kennedy said the hope is that the rest of the staff follows suit, but on a personal level, the last thing a pitcher wants to do is struggle right out of the gate.
"You don't want to start off getting hit around a little bit or just have a mediocre start," he said. "I was really happy how that start was on Monday night."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.