Updated Apr 5, 2013 - 3:12 pm
D-backs pitcher Ian Kennedy starts 2013 off right
The song being played over the Chase Field speakers was Taylor Swift's "Trouble," and it is the type of tune generally listened to by young girls.
A guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday, Kennedy said the choice was made by D-backs president Derrick Hall's daughter Kylie.
"She was pumped, and she didn't even want to pick that song because it was Taylor Swift," Kennedy said. "But I said 'no, I want it to be that one' because it is Taylor Swift and I want the reaction that you guys will give me."
Well played, Ian.
Of course, Kennedy is known more for his exploits on the mound than at the plate, and his performance Monday was about as good as one could have hoped.
Facing a tough St. Louis lineup, the D-backs ace allowed just five hits and two runs in seven innings of work. He struck out eight and walked just one.
It was Kennedy's third consecutive Opening Day start, and it was his best performance of the three.
"It is good to throw well in your very first outing of the year," Kennedy said. "And hopefully just take that into the next couple.
"But you like to start out on a good roll like that."
Kennedy said the hope is that the rest of the staff follows suit, but on a personal level, the last thing a pitcher wants to do is struggle right out of the gate.
"You don't want to start off getting hit around a little bit or just have a mediocre start," he said. "I was really happy how that start was on Monday night."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.