Updated Apr 5, 2013 - 3:12 pm
D-backs pitcher Ian Kennedy starts 2013 off right
The song being played over the Chase Field speakers was Taylor Swift's "Trouble," and it is the type of tune generally listened to by young girls.
A guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday, Kennedy said the choice was made by D-backs president Derrick Hall's daughter Kylie.
"She was pumped, and she didn't even want to pick that song because it was Taylor Swift," Kennedy said. "But I said 'no, I want it to be that one' because it is Taylor Swift and I want the reaction that you guys will give me."
Well played, Ian.
Of course, Kennedy is known more for his exploits on the mound than at the plate, and his performance Monday was about as good as one could have hoped.
Facing a tough St. Louis lineup, the D-backs ace allowed just five hits and two runs in seven innings of work. He struck out eight and walked just one.
It was Kennedy's third consecutive Opening Day start, and it was his best performance of the three.
"It is good to throw well in your very first outing of the year," Kennedy said. "And hopefully just take that into the next couple.
"But you like to start out on a good roll like that."
Kennedy said the hope is that the rest of the staff follows suit, but on a personal level, the last thing a pitcher wants to do is struggle right out of the gate.
"You don't want to start off getting hit around a little bit or just have a mediocre start," he said. "I was really happy how that start was on Monday night."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.