Updated Apr 8, 2013 - 9:12 am
By the numbers: D-backs' opening week of 2013
Here's a look back at the team's first week of the season by the numbers:
1: Team defense has been a big part of Kirk Gibson and Co.'s early-season success. Arizona has only committed one error through the first six games.
2: Free baseball has been a popular theme so far in 2013. Two of the D-backs' first five wins have come in extra innings.
3: The D-backs are 5-1 for just the third time in franchise history. They are also tied atop the National League standings with the Atlanta Braves and Colorado Rockies.
6: Arizona's rotation did an admirable job through the first week. In four of six games, D-backs starters went at least six innings.
10: Well, it looks like a new contract extension hasn't phased Paul Goldschmidt. The D-backs first baseman has 10 hits in his first 27 at-bats. He also leads the team with seven RBI.
69: The D-backs have hit the cover off the baseball over the course of the first week. Arizona's 69 hits are the most in franchise history through six games.
105: Arizona's three-game road sweep of Milwaukee was somewhat surprising given that it took the team 105 games in 2012 to sweep a team on the road (July 30 - August 1 at Los Angeles Dodgers).
.400: So much for just being a fill-in at the top of the order. Due to Adam Eaton's elbow injury, Gerardo Parra began 2013 as the D-backs' lead-off hitter, and he's playing like he doesn't want to give up the job. Through the first six games, Parra has a .400 batting average, .438 on-base percentage, 12 hits and four runs scored.
5:32: The D-backs needed five hours and 32 minutes to take down the Cardinals 10-9 at Chase Field Wednesday night. And if not for Josh Collmenter's tremendous five innings of relief it might all have been for naught.
34,438: Despite plenty of roster turnover and notable spring injuries, fans in the Valley came out in numbers to see the D-backs open their season against the Cardinals. An average of 34,438 people per game went through the Chase Field turnstiles during Arizona's first home series of 2013.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.