Correction: Salinger letters story
NEW YORK (AP) - In a story April 9 about a donation of J.D. Salinger letters made to the Morgan Library & Museum, The Associated Press erroneously reported to whom some of his correspondence was addressed. It was to Swami Nikhilananda, not Swami Vivekananda.
A corrected version of story is below.
Letters written by J.D. Salinger to a spiritual mentor have been donated to a New York City museum.
The Morgan Library & Museum, based in Manhattan, announced Tuesday that it will receive 28 letters by the author of "The Catcher in the Rye." The letters were written to Swami Nikhilananda, founder of the Ramakrishna-Vivekananda Center, which donated the correspondence.
Salinger, who died in 2010 at age 91, was strongly influenced by Eastern religion and philosophy and worked in his beliefs into such stories as "Hapworth 16, 1924."
Materials given to the Morgan also include letters the center wrote to Salinger and exchanges between the center and Salinger's widow, Colleen O'Neill. The Morgan will exhibit two of the donated letters April 12-19. The museum already had 24 Salinger letters.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.